There are times everyone finds a need to mask their IP address. Maybe they are in the UK and they want to watch a video on Netflix that only is on the US Netflix portion of the site. Or maybe your located in New York and are getting blocked from using sites that are about crypto currencies. Or it could just be as simple as not wanting sites or people knowing your real IP address and location. Either way there is always a way around problems.
But before I go any further I will state that even though masking your IP address is legal in almost all countries. I’m providing this information for legitimate purposes. If you choose to use this information to commit a crime that is your problem not mine. And I will not take any responsibility for your actions. It is also worth mentioning that I know for a fact that the FBI can find out your real IP address even when it is behind a VPN
Getting started. There are a few methods of achieving such a goal. One of them is using VPN services, the other is using a proxy. And yes there are other methods as well but I will only be talking about these two.
VPN is probably the easiest way to mask your IP address. The problem is I don’t know of any free VPN services. So you will need to pay a subscription to use them. One of the best VPN’s of 2015 is called ExpressVPN which costs $12.95 per month. Or if you pay for an entire year it is only $99.95. And using ExpressVPN is also very easy because they provide software to automate all the work for you. But what is the fun in that. So we will assume the software they provide isn’t compatible with your system. Which means we would need to set it up manually. This way we know what the hell is going on.
After you have signed up to ExpressVPN you can will have access to all of their VPN servers through out the world. The list of all their servers can be found here After you have access to the list. You can add the servers to the device you want to mask the IP address for.
- Open up the Network and Sharing Center
- Click Setup a new connection or network
- Select Connect to a workplace then click Next
- Choose Use my Internet Connection (VPN)
- Type the server address that you have chosen from the server list provided above. You will type the address where it says IP Address
- Type any name in the Destination Name section
- Click Create
- Now right click on the connection we just created and choose Properties
- Select the Security tab
- Where it says type of VPN choose Layer 2 Tunneling protocol with IPSec (L2TP/IPSec)
- Click Advanced Settings
- Select use Preshared key for authentication
- Now type the preshared key which is 12345678 then click Ok
- Now try to connect to the VPN. When you attempt to connect you will be asked for a username and password simply type the ones ExpressVPN provided you
Mac OSX Users
- Go to System Preferences
- Click on Network
- On the bottom left side of the network screen you will see a + a – and a gear. Click on the +
- Choose VPN for the Interface
- For the VPN type choose L2TP over IpSec
- Then type any name that will help you idenfiy the connection where it says Service Name
- Then click Create
Now the VPN service has been setup on the Mac. Now we will configure it. To do this we choose the VPN Service we just created. It should show up on the left side under the other services like WiFi and Eithernet.
Once we have chosen the VPN from that side we will leave the configuration option as Default, then for Server Address we will choose from the list of servers we have been provided by ExpressVPN. Then for the Account Name we will use our ExpressVPN username.
Next we select Authentication Settings and do the following.
- Select the Password radio button and type the password ExpressVPN provided you
- Select the Shared Secret radio button and type 12345678 (No that is not an example number. That is exactly what you should type, there is a reason it is called a shared secret)
- Click Ok
- Select Advanced
- Under Options make sure the Send all traffic over VPN connection option is selected
- Click Ok
- Make sure the Show VPN status in menu bar radio button is checked
- Click Apply
Now you just need to connect to the VPN and your done.
The advantages of this VPN which you have to pay for is the fact that is faster. A free VPN would be much slower because of lack of funds to keep a new fast server up and running and the fact that more people will be using it causing more traffic which slows it down considerably.
Proxies are similair and unlike VPN’s they can be used from within FoxyProxy which means you can use both VPN’s and proxies at the same time. And with FoxyProxy you can switch between proxies based on the sites you visit.I’ve talked about using FoxyProxy in the past. So I wont go into how to use proxies here. Instead I will provide some proxies list.
- Free Proxy Lists
- Hide My Ass
- Foxy Proxy List (Paid Service)
There are many other proxy list available you just need to look.